The Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 9900 series Modular LAN chassis platform is a high-capacity, high-performance modular Ethernet LAN switch that is field-proven in enterprise, service provider and data center environments. As the OmniSwitch 9900 series runs on the Alcatel- Lucent Operating System (AOS), a state-of-the-art programmable operating system designed for Software-Defined Networking (SDN), it delivers uninterrupted network uptime with non-stop Layer-2 and Layer-3 forwarding.
The OmniSwitch 9900 is a high density, multi Terabit modular platform. The platform can linearly scale switching capacity with virtual chassis technology providing tens of Terabit of aggregate switching capacity. In particular its modular design provides investment protection allowing for scaling out in the future with inline upgrades offering high density 25G/40G/50G/100G interfaces.
The OmniSwitch 9900 series is ideally suited for enterprise core, aggregation and edge environments. Its resilient platform architecture providing control plane and data plane redundancy together with unparalleled scalability helps meet demanding resiliency and throughput requirements for evolving enterprises of all sizes.
The OmniSwitch 9900 series offers a broad range of modules supporting 1 GigE, 10 GigE and 40 GigE ports in an 11-RU chassis form factor, and it offers highest 1 GigE/10GigE port density in its class. The platform is also ready to support 100 GigE.
The OmniSwitch 9900 offers the highest density of Power over Ethernet (PoE) in its class, scaling up to 10080 W of inline PoE power. The gigabit PoE line card supports 8 ports of HPoE (75 W) and 40 ports of 802.3at PoE (30 W). All PoE-enabled ports are IEEE 802.3af/at compliant.
The OmniSwitch 9900 leverages an energy-efficient model with leading low power consumption, making it an efficient and versatile switch.
The Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise Intelligent Fabric technology is also enabled on the OmniSwitch 9900 Modular LAN chassis. The technology brings true network flexibility ensuring business agility. It not only delivers a resilient, high-capacity infrastructure, but it also delivers automated deployment and self-healing network capabilities to reduce overhead in IT operations. The technology platform is built upon standard IEEE protocols and key innovations such as Shortest Path Bridging (802.1aq/SPB-M) for bridged and routed services, Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol (MVRP), dynamic Virtual Network Profiles (vNP), 802.3ad/802.1AX (LACP) and Auto- Fabric for automatic protocol and topology discovery.
Benefits: OmniSwitch 9900
- Modules provide very low latency for high-performance server clusters and core connectivity over QSFP+, SFP+, DAC or CAT 5/6
- Outstanding performance when supporting real-time voice, data, storage and video applications for converged scalable networks
- Modular slots offer versatility in terms of 40 GigE QSFP+, 10 GigE SFP+, 10 G Base-T and 10/100/1000 Base-T ports
- Each port is capable of operating as 40 GigE or 4x10 GigE
- Hardware resiliency maximizes uptime for converged mission-critical networks
- Software virtualization, the Chassis Management Module (CMM) control plane and data plane management are virtualized and execute as virtual machines, enabling high availability during upgrades and/or during unexpected network failures
- The OmniSwitch 9900 virtual chassis further increases system redundancy, resiliency and high availability while simplifying deployment, operations and management of the network
- Embedded SDN integration to control virtual network profiles and policy management
- Built-in dynamic and automated policy enforcement
- Policy enforcement engine fully open for external control through RESTful northbound APIs for automation and integration of innovative applications
- Native Cloud Multi-Tenancy
- Out-of-the-box flexible fabric architecture designed to automate and simplify the end-to-end deployment of campus, data center, and cloud-based services
- Prevents human mistakes by automating standardized and replicable configurations
- Prevents host address explosion and flooding with built-in SLA service support at low capital and operating costs, and based on interoperable proven standards
- Optimizes/simplifies Layer-2 and Layer-3 network designs and reduces administration overhead while increasing network capacity with resilient multipath active-active dual homing multi-chassis support
- Out-of-the-box Auto-Provisioning to simplify installation and service provisioning
- With its advanced PoE capabilities and high density of PoE ports, the OmniSwitch
- 9900 is ideal for converged campus deployments, as it offers deployment flexibility, simplifies the wiring and reduces the time to deploy edge devices such as VoIP phones, surveillance cameras, 802.11ac access points, and emerging devices that require more than 30 W, such as video displays, a small network switch or a thin virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) client
- Unified Access and application-fluent networks provide simplified network architecture with automated controls and enhanced security for both wired and wireless users. Offers enhanced management and security for reduced operational complexity costs.
- User network profiles add intelligence to the network to automatically adapt as users move around the corporation without compromising the security
- With its advanced capabilities, the OmniSwitch 9900 brings enhanced performance when supporting real-time voice, data and video applications
- Provides consistent and secure user experience when applications and services are accessed from wired or wireless end devices
- Offers flexible deployment options and enables the network for BYOD deployments and zero-touch guest management
- Supports dynamic change of authentication (CoA) and enforces traffic remediation or restriction for non-compliant devices
- Provides control and increased security over corporate data/applications for the mixed personal and corporate environment for improved visibility and control for IT
- Opens the door for fast deployment of new network services that meet employees’ needs to continuously adopt new applications that support the business
- The support of SDN reassures customers that their investment helps them prepare for the future and enables interoperability with third-party solutions
Features: OmniSwitch 9900
- Wire-rate non-blocking switching and routing performance for Ethernet at 40 GigE, 10 GigE and 10/100/1000 Base-T speeds.
- High port density in 11-RU.
- Up to 288 10/100/1000 Base-T triple speed ports
- Up to 248 SFP+ ports. Capable of 1 GigE/10 GigE
- Up to 248 10 G Base-T ports. Capable of 1 GigE/10 GigE
- Up to 4 QSFP+ ports
- Resilient hardware system and highly available virtualized software architecture
- Up to two switches can be connected using virtual chassis technology to create a single chassis-like entity with up to 480 10 GigE ports and 480 GigE ports
- Integral operating system advanced functions: Quality of Service (QoS), access control lists (ACLs), Layer-2/Layer-3 switching, virtual LAN (VLAN) stacking and IPv6
- Intelligent policy control through OpenFlow 1.3.1/1.0
- Hardware virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) support for VRF-lite and IPVPN
- Scalable network virtualization architecture with guaranteed Service Level Agreement (SLA) delivery over standard Ethernet fabric: Auto-Fabric IP routing for routed backbone and access provisioning, Shortest Path Bridging (SPB) for bridging and routed services, Edge Virtual Bridging (EVB), Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol (MVRP) and dynamic Virtual Network Profiles (vNP)
- Zero-touch provisioning and network automation with out-of-the-box plug-and-play Auto-Fabric for automatic protocol and topology discovery. Protocol auto-discovery and self-provisioning works with any Ethernet device that supports standard IEEE protocols such as 802.1aq (Shortest Path Bridging Media Access Control, SPBM), 802.1ak (MVRP), 802.3ad/802.1AX (Link Aggregation Control Protocol, LACP). Auto-Fabric operation extends to IP routing protocol provisioning and IP onboarding.
- On PoE-enabled network interface modules:
- IEEE 802.3af and 802.3at compliant PoE of 30 W per port on all ports
- Up to 75 W of PoE (High Power-over- Ethernet, HPoE) per port on first eight ports
- Capacity to deliver 1800 W of PoE power
- Advanced Unified Access features providing application fluency in converged campus networks:
- Integrated policy with dynamic User Network Profiles (UNP)
- Extensive security features for network access control (NAC), policy enforcement and attack containment
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) fluency to provision and monitor QoS treatment of SIP flows
- AirGroup™ Network Services for Bonjour® speaking devices
- Enables deployment of comprehensive and secure bring-your-own-device (BYOD) services in enterprise networks:
- Advanced guest management capabilities
- Device onboarding and automated IEEE 802.1x provisioning
- Device posture/health check and fingerprinting
- Application management
- The OmniSwitch 9900 is SDN-ready:
- Comprehensive northbound RESTful API to the entire AOS feature set.
- API offers access to all AOS command line interface (CLI) commands and management information base (MIB) structures
- AOS-embedded scripting capabilities supporting Python® and Bash programming
- OpenFlow™ 1.0/1.3
- OpenStack® neutron plugin