The Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise OmniSwitch™ 6900 Stackable LAN and data center switches are compact, high-density 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GigE) and 40 GigE platforms. In addition to high performance and extremely low latency, they offer VXLAN, OpenFlow, Shortest Path Bridging (SPB), data center bridging (DCB) capabilities, QoS, Layer-2 and Layer-3 switching, as well as system and network level resiliency.
They are designed for the most demanding software-defined operations in virtualized or physical networks and converged data centers. With their modular approach, the OmniSwitch 6900s support lossless configurations and native fibre channel ports for high-speed storage I/O consolidation.
They can be positioned as converged top-of-rack or spine switches in data center environments as well as core and aggregation devices in campus networks.
OmniSwitch 6900: Benefits
- Best choice for core network rightsizing in new and existing converged campus networks. All OmniSwitch 6900 models have a high density of interfaces, a small footprint and a large L2/L3 switching capacity.
- High availability by power supply redundancy, virtual chassis technology and In Service Software upgrade (ISSU)
- Flexible deployment in data centers by choice of cooling direction, DC powering, Fiber Channel interfaces and VXLAN gateway in hardware
- Simplified management through virtual chassis technology where a set of OmniSwitch 6900 switches can be set up as a single switch
- Reduced efforts to set up Virtual Chassis and networks by the unique Auto-Fabric feature that enables out-of-the-box network deployment without manual CLI programming
- Reduced efforts to provision other network equipment connectivity by automatically recognizing devices that use standards-based protocols
- Improved data center workflow management through automated network provisioning during Virtual Machine movement
- Visibility and history of Virtual Machine movement, visibility of service levels between Virtual Machines and interfacing to VCenter with OmniVista 2500 Network Management System
- Business justification of the Data Center and Converged Campus network investment by customizable predictive network reporting with OmniVista 2500 NMS. (Network Analytics available Q2 2015)
- Ready for the future with support for programmability through the OpenFlow protocol and publicly available OpenStack plugin
OmniSwitch 6900: Features
- Resilient hardware system architecture with hot-swappable power supplies and fans
- Front-to-back and back-to-front cooling for deployment of choice
- Wire-rate non-blocking switching and routing performance at 40 GigE, 10 GigE. 1 GigE and Fibre Channel (FC) at 2/4/8GFC
- Virtual chassis technology for simplified management and higher availability of multiple switches
- IPv4 and IPv6 switching and routing with VRF, RIP, OSPF, BGP, VRRP, DVMRP, IS-IS for converged campus and data centers
- Data center deployment with Lossless Ethernet, Fiber Channel connectivity, VXLAN gateway in hardware
- Programmable through OpenFlow 1.3.1/1.0 as well as publicly available OpenStack plugin; RESTful APIs and embedded Python support for SDN applications
- Scalable network virtualization architecture with guaranteed SLA delivery over routed backbone and access provisioning, Shortest Path Bridging (SPB) for bridging and routed services, Edge Virtual Bridging (EVB), Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol (MVRP) and dynamic Virtual Network Profiles (vNP)
- Zero-touch provisioning and network automation with out-of-the-box plug-and-play Auto-Fabric for automatic protocol and topology discovery. Protocol auto-discovery and self-provisioning works with any network device that supports widely used standard protocols.
- Manageable through SNMP with advanced manageability by Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise OmniVista™ 2500 Network Management System and Virtual Machine Manager