Gordon College was founded in 1889 and is recognized as one of the best liberal arts and sciences colleges in the USA. Thanks to a new wireless solution, the college can meet student connectivity needs, attract new applicants and support e-learning on its 450-acre campus.
- Students at Gordon College had an insatiable demand for reliable wireless and high bandwidth. The college wanted a solution that would meet the needs of its existing students and become an asset for recruiting new ones. The infrastructure also had to support next-generation teaching tools.
- Gordon College needed wireless technology in its classrooms to secure State accreditation for curriculum delivery. It was critical that the college adopt new infrastructure to meet this requirement.
- Using the Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 6900 Stackable LAN Switch in virtual chassis configuration streamlines the network architecture without sacrificing resiliency.
- ClearPass Policy Manager automates secure registration of guests and devices, like wireless printers, freeing up scarce IT resources.
- The OmniVista® 2500 Network Management System’s locator function speeds troubleshooting of the network.
- Pervasive wireless is an asset for recruiting students and securing a vital revenue stream for the college.
- Virtual chassis helps the college avoid upfront capital costs in favor of a pay-as-you-grow model.
- Guest access to the wireless network is fast and secure, with credentials sent via SMS.
- Students have access to ubiquitous, reliable wireless on campus, including in outdoor areas like the quad.
"We are getting great range for our wireless both indoors and outdoors. Having solid wireless throughout campus enables us to create a next generation learning environment that is attractive to students and beneficial to the college’s standing."
— Chris Hansen, Director of Network and Information Systems